Re: gnus losing mail?

Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 01:04:08PM +0100, Kai Grossjohann wrote:
>> It is easy.  You tell procmail to write mail for the group
>> nnfolder:foo.bar into the file ~/procmail/foo.bar, say.  Then you
>> tell Gnus to read mail from there into the corresponding groups:
>>
>> (setq mail-sources '((directory :path "~/procmail/"
>>                                 :suffix "")))
>
> OK, I tried that, gnus won't even start anymore, complaining about
> nnmail-process-unix-mail-format: Error, unknown mail format! (Possibly
> corrupted buffer ` *nnmail incoming*'.)

Alright, I got it sorted out.  I'm now using the nnml backend.  Here's
what fixed mail for me...

First, had to tell procmail to spew at another directory.  Then,
flattened my mail tree to put all the mboxes in the same directory.

Added this to my .gnus.el

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnml ""))

(setq mail-sources '((directory :path "~/procmail/"
                                :suffix "")))

I think the two biggest things that really should be more clearly
highlighted in the gnus docs is you need both statements.

: :'  :
`. `'`     proud Debian admin and user
  `-       Debian.  Because it *must* work.  debian.org   aboutdebian.com