Re: Really, I still don't have sound

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 11:01:43AM +0100, Andreas Janssen wrote:
> Hello
>
> Mark Healey (<deblist@healeyonline.com>) wrote:
>
> > I still haven't managed to get sound up and running.  It looks like
> > everybody is stumped but I'm resubmitting the problem and including
> > all that I gathered in the last attempt to get it working.
> >
> > I installed woody stable kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4
> >
> > When I boot knoppix it uses via82cxxx_audio and works.  I have that
> > module installed so I added the line to my "via82cxxx_audio" to my
> > /etc/modules.
>
> Maybe the kernel is too old and doesn't support your card properly. Try
> to upgrade to a newer one, e.g. 2.4.25. You can get precompiled
> packages from <http://www.backports.org>. Install the proper package
> and configure your bootloader to use the initrd.

the alsa modules for via82xx changed sometime around 0.9.1, I think.
You most likely need to upgrade to the newest alsa-source using the
various alsa packages, and roll the new kernel modules according to
the instructions in /usr/share/doc/alsa-source.  It's slightly
intimidating but pretty easy if you follow the instructions.

matt