Re: xlibmesa-gl1-dri-mach64

Hi.  I think, from the content of this post, that you're replying to
me; but I'm not sure, because your post didn't quote anything for
context (and in general, your posts don't include an "In-Reply-To:"
header, so they don't thread).

If this wasn't a reply to me, sorry . . .

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 22:21:40 +0100
David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:

> If this module replaces the other three, does it not offer the same
> "entry points", functions, or in Java parlance, implements the same
> interface? Otherwize, nothing would work.

I haven't seen the control fields for this package, so I don't know
whether the other mesa libraries are being removed because this
replaces them, or whether they're being removed because it conflicts
with them, which is not exactly the same thing.

But let's assume it does replace them.

> So if Guarddog or Rosegarden or any othe the tens of others on the list
> are calling into the graphics interface, they should (have to!) still
> work if anything will.
>
> So why should anything but the replaced xlibmesa modules be removed?
> (And if this monster does not work, these modules be reinstalled).

Because the packaging system only knows that these packages depend on
the ones that are being removed.  It doesn't know about library
contents or package functionality.  It only knows about relationships
between packages, as specified in the control fields for the package.

That said, one of the possible control fields is "Provides:"  If the
package that you're trying to install does indeed provide all the
functionality of the Mesa libraries being removed, and if it has a
Provides: field that indicates it provides the functionality of those
packages, then I wouldn't expect there to be a problem with dependencies.
So you may want to look at the Depends:, Conflicts:, Replaces: and
Provides: field for this package.  More info in section 2.2.8 of the
Debian Reference, and Chapter 7 of the Debian Policy Manual.

> BTW, this is from Daenziger, not from Debian as has been stated.

I don't know what this means, sorry.  Are you saying that this package
is from "Daenziger" (I don't know who/what that is) after all?

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)