Re: Next stable release: 13 CD's

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 04:57:30AM +1100, bob parker wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 21:31, Beretta wrote:

> Yeah and who can tie up their phone line 24 hours. I did d/l a full iso
> (Knoppix) on my dialup at 8/24 through the night only. It took a week.
> And then it was out a bit or 3 and failed the md5sum check, repaired by rsync
> fortunately.
>
> Any way for me on my dialup, the d/l is 3 months.

I, too, am on dialup.  And I, too, have downloaded ISO's, using much the
same strateg you did.  It's slow and tedious, but it is feasible.

But as far as _we_ are concerned with the the number of CD's, I don't
think it should be a problem.  I don't see _any_ reason to download the
whole set unless you wish to be a collector.  For one thing, after
several security updates, many of the packages will probably be outdated
before we even would install them.  I think the recommendation of
downloading just what you need to get a secure network system up and
running and doing a net install of the rest is the wisest choice.

It seems that the argument that there's too much in the distro, but one
still wants it ALL seems a bit circular to me.  If you get it all,
you're going to have to download a bunch one way or the other.  If
there's too much, why would you want all of it in the first place?  It
seems that it's much more logical to first download a few (however much
that would be) necessary packages, and then begin picking what you need
and really want.  For one thing, it's more reliable.  When you download
a ~700 Meg image, it has to be correct in its entirety.  One little
glitch and you've lost it all unless you can get it straightened out.
Plus, with such a large file, most dialup connections would have to be
done intermittently, not very many lines would permit a continuous
connection for this long a period of time.  However, after getting up
and running, pick a selection of packages that will fit within the
time-frame of your expected connection, dload them and install them and
go again.  Slow, I admit, but I'd bet you'd have your system where you
want it much quicker than if you tried to dload 13 ISO's - containing
many packages you'd never use - before beginning your install.

In fact, why would WE want to download the install disks in the first
place?  A few months ago, in anticipation of the moving of sarge into
stable (possibly a little hasty, but at least I'm already there).. I
dist-upgraded to sarge.  It took me several days of apt-get
dist-upgrades to get it all up-to-date, but now I have a sarge system
already.