Re: RAID on a Dell Poweredge 1750

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:37:10 -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
>Anyone have experience with Debian Stable on the 1750?
>I'm wondering what is required to get the PERC hardware RAID controller
>working on that machine.

aacraid and aic7xxx (or aic79xx) thats about it :)

>This to run a small web portal (say about a million hits a month) using
>Postgresql.  Cost (somewhat) and ease of support (mostly) is important.
>
>I'd also like to hear opinions going low-end IDE vs. say two SCSI
>drives
>in RAID 1 using the on-board hardware RAID controller.

If youre using the IDE drives on different IDE controllers then thats
fast enough for what you need... If theyre on the same controller it
will be painfully slow... If you can afford SCSI then go for that...
SCSI would be what i would choose if the budget was there.

>I'm leaning more toward two low-end machines to have a backup machine
>around --
>100% uptime is not critical, but getting running again (by remote
>means)
>within say 1/2 day is about what I would want.  Seems like a setup with
>a mirror machine is a good low-tech solution.

There's not much you need to run a small web / DB server as far as
programs are concerned. The install should take you less than an hour if
all the correct drivers are selected and you are installing from a CD.

Ohh and another thing... I've had problems with the AIC7XXX drivers on
2.4 kernel. You can use the old AIC7XXX drivers up to 2.4.24 but for
some reason none of them work on 2.4.25 for me.

Regards,

Ken
(occasional helper monkey)