Re: problem with apt-get and 2.4.18 kernel upgrade

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Nelson E. Castillo wrote:

I Think  you don't use  the kernel-patch package
unless you compile a  Kernel yourself.  The 2.4.18
version  doesn't say much, since  they append  a
trailing  number to  the package with each update. I
think it's ok if you use the last binary (precompiled)
version and you are running stable.
Run: dpkg -l | grep kernel-image

I think you were right, Nelson, because the security
notice said that it was the patch specifically that
needed the upgrade, if I'm interpreting things
correctly. I never did compile my own kernel - I just
used the binary version in stable. That would explain
why nothing was downloaded by apt-get upgrade. At the
same time, for some reason the dpkg list did *not*
contain any record of my kernel, which was bothering
me. I couldn't grep image or kernel or anything else.
Not knowing any way to update that list, I just
installed the latest version of 2.4.18 and the kernel
headers at the same time using dpkg. Since I didn't
fully know what I was doing, it was a risk - but the
dpkg thing was driving me crazy. So far, so good -
everything is up and running. And the kernel image and
headers are both listed in dpkg now. Thank you very
much for all your help!

Sincerely,
Barry