Re: Dark fonts in console

Kenneth Macdonald Karlsen wrote:

Kent West wrote:

After upgrading a couple of my sid boxes (to 2.6.3-1-k7), after the boot I find that the console fonts suddenly turn dark just before getting to the login screen. It's like the brightness on the monitor suddenly gets dropped down to 20%; not so dark you can't read the fonts, but dark enough to strain your eyes. Brightness levels in X seem fine; it only affects consoles.

I temporarily disabled /etc/init.d/console-screen.sh (by putting "exit 0" as the first executable line in that script), and the screen stayed normal until I was able to log in. Sometime after that I found the consoles were again dark, but I don't know the exact sequence of events.

Google was less than enlightening (either me, or my consoles :-) ).

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Man setterm.
Kenneth.

That looked promising, thanks! But unfortunately, it didn't solve the problem. But it did give me a new clue.

I can set some attribute, say "setterm -blink on" or "setterm bold", that attribute will kick in (and the bold helps, but only marginally), but as soon as I execute a command like "ls", that attribute goes away back to what it was before.

--
Kent