Quake3 in kernel 2.6.3+

I am facing this peculiar problem under the following kernels:

    2.4.25, 2.6.3, 2.6.4

I can compile the kernel and install it. Everything runs fine, including
sound from programs like mpg321, xmms, mplayer, et al. Quake3 runs,
display is fine, but no sound :-( I see a /dev/dsp borken pipe in the
terminal window from where I have launched Quake3.

The previous versions, 2.4.24 and 2.6.2 did not exhibit this problem.

Anyone else facing such a problem?

For the record: System: ASUS A7N266, Athlon 1800XP
                OS: Debian Sarge
                Sound Driver: Alsa, intel 810 audio
                Graphics: Onboard Nforce2

Regards,

--
Sridhar M.A.                                   GPG KeyID : F6A35935
  Fingerprint: D172 22C4 7CDC D9CD 62B5  55C1 2A69 D5D8 F6A3 5935

The trouble with being poor is that it takes up all your time.