Re: [Solved] exim4 doesn't connect to smarthost

On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 08:20:48PM +0100, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 the mental interface of
> Micha Feigin told:
>
> > On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 12:43:02PM +0100, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
> [...]
>
> > > It looks like the choosen network is down?
> >
> > The smarthost is reachable. Doing a
> > telnet [smarthost ip] ssmtp
> > Gives a connection. I can't do nothing much else since its requires a
> > TLS connection.
> > Trying mail -s test [address]
> > test
> > .
> >
> > and running tcpdump shows a connection to my gateway for a dns quarry
> > but no connection to the smarthost. Same when running
> > /etc/init.d/exim4 restart with mails on the queue.
> > It looks like its not trying to connect to the smarthost.
>
> Is your exim4 TLS enabled? Look in /usr/share/doc/exim4/examples on
> how to genarate certfiquates and how to enable TLS in your config.

Sorry for the trouble and thanks for the help. Apparently my smtp
server changed its settings behind my back a few days ago.
I still don't know why no connection attempts showed up on tcpdump, but
using my isp's smtp server instead of my uni's solved the problem.