Re: NFS Groups

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 18:40:09 +0100, Michael Satterwhite wrote:

> I want to thank those who helped me with the userid. The other half of this,
> however, is the group id:
>
> Assume that a directory on the server is owned by root:users. The group id
> number for users is different on the server and the clients. It's not
> possible to have the directory owned by the same user as on the client as
> there are many of those, so group permissions need to control whether the
> directory can be written.
>
> How can I set up this type of directory so that it can be written by the
> client machines?

File group ownership is tracked by numeric group ID, so you'll need a
user group on the server and clients which has the same numeric ID on
each system, and to which all the users belong.  Even if this means
creating a new user group on each system and manually adding the users
to it.

In /etc/group, you can define a list of members for each group, even
if that group is not each user's primary group

users:x:100:steve,phil

It may be worth your while investigating NIS as this is typically used
alongside NFS to synchronise logins and file access.

--
Stephen Patterson http://patter.mine.nu/
steveSPAM@.patter.mine.nu  remove SPAM to reply