Eterm, gnome-terminal, UTF-8 woes

Hello.

I'm trying to migrate my desktop from pl_PL (ISO-8859-2 encoding) to
pl_PL.UTF-8 (a Unicode flavor). Unfortunately, Eterm doesn't seem to
like UTF-8 at all - I tried --mencoding iso-10646, I tried
--mencoding utf-8, the fonts seem to be set to ...-iso10646-1 in the
multichar section of the preferences file, but Eterm still doesn't like
to display UTF-8-encoded files properly.

The other possible option for me is to leave Eterm altogether and
standarize on gnome-terminal. Unfortunately, I still have some programs
which must run under pl_PL (mc, ekg), so I wrap them in scripts that
export pl_PL locale. Is there any way to change the "Terminal |
Character encoding" gnome-terminal setting from the commandline?

Cheers,
-- Shot (Piotr Szotkowski)
--
.--- http://shot.pl/ --- http://shot.pl/hovercraft/ --- -- -