Mozilla Firefox terminates unexpectedly when rendering

Hi!

I'm running Debian Unstable (installed by way of Knoppix and then heavily
upgraded), and I just apt-get installed Mozilla Firefox. I've previously run
nightly builds of Firebird, since I've had the same problem with the Debian
packages for Firebird in the past, but I'm tired of manual updates, so I'd
like to get this working.

Firefox starts up as expected, but is unexpectedly terminated every time a
page is about to be rendered. Downloading appears to work, and it's just as
the rendering is about to begin that the problem presents itself. It does,
however, manage to render about: (which doesn't have any pictures, if that
makes any difference).

If I recall correctly, I did throw in Sun's Java RTE for Firebird at some
point, but that shouldn't affect the Debian build of Firefox, should it?

Unfortunately, I've also been unable to get any error messages from Firefox
when running it from a console window. I've tried to comment out the output
redirection to /dev/null in /usr/bin/mozilla-firefox, but that made no
difference.

If I try to run /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox-bin, I get another error
message (/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox-bin: error while loading shared
libraries: libmozjs.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory) before the GUI is loaded, but I suppose that's to be expected when
not using the startup script for the environment voodoo needed.

I've looked around a bit, but I can't seem to find anything that fits the
situation at hand, so I'd be grateful for helpful ideas.