Mozilla hangs on Print Preview

My system is Debian Woody, with Jamie Strandboge's Gnome 2.2 and Mozilla 1.4 backports, on a 1.8 GHz P4.

I am able to print, e.g. from Abiword.

However, when I do a Print or Print Preview in Mozilla, Mozilla hangs. A child window comes up, and stays up. If I move the child window around, it leaves behind an unrefreshed trail. I can't close the main wondow. The only way out is to do a kill.

The above seems to happen every time when signed in as an ordinary user.

Signed in as root, Mozilla sometimes just crashes and its window disappears.

Have others printed successfully from this type of system?

ANy suggestions?

Jack Dodds