Re: problems with fetchmail and sent mail

Quoting Paul E Condon <pecondon@peakpeak.com>:

> On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 06:53:37PM +0100, Conrad Newton wrote:
> >
> > But since two days ago, fetchmail does
> > not work.  A call to
> >
> > fetchmail -v
> >
> > lists the number of mails waiting, but
> > refuses to download any of them.  It
> > starts on the first, gives a few dots ...
> > and then quits.  I can download mail
> > from the POP3 server manually using mutt.
> > It also appears that my outgoing mail
> > is not reaching its destination.

> I had the same problem last year. It is a problem at your isp, not
> with your fetchmail config.  Depending on how helpful your isp is,
> there are several ways to fix it. The basic problem is that your isp's
> software has clobbered an email on his server in such a way that his
> software won't deliver it to you when requested by fetchmail. If you
> can delete that one email on his server, things will start moving
> again.
>
> Maybe you can do this yourself via a web interface to your email.
> I had to get a person at the isp to manually delete, because, for
> the bad email, the web interface also didn't work.
>
> I suggest you try the web interface. If it works, problem solved.
> If it doesn't work, complain about that to the live person and leave
> Linux, etc., out of the discussion.

Maybe it is worth mentioning that I have three times
been hit in the last two weeks by the "mangled headers"
problem---is this the problem you are speaking of?

The symptom there was that fetchmail stopped with an
error message.  I could go in on the webmail interface,
purge the offending e-mail (usually some obvious trash
from yahoo), and everything worked again, as you say.

But this time I am not getting the same error message
from fetchmail, and the message it blocks on (always
the first, never the third or the sixth, as before)
is in many cases from a known reliable source---it is
not a spam problem.

So it does not appear to be a problem of deleting an e-mail.
As I said, I download all the e-mail manually, but a few
minutes later I am back in the soup again.

Are you saying that their server is somehow stuck in a
jammed state---would that affect only me and not others?

Thanks for your time,

Conrad