Re: Running kernel 2.4.25 in woody stable

On Fri, Feb 12, 1988 at 11:23:35AM -0500, Jody Grafals wrote:
> I'm running debian woody with kernel 2.4.25 that I downloaded from
> kernel.org and built with make-dpkg and I just noticed that I have
> compatibility problems with ifconfig in woody, specifically I can not
> add virtual interfaces. After googling around I get the impression that
> ifconfig needs to match the running kernel version to some extent. Can
> someone tell me what parts of woody I would need to update to use kernel
> 2.4.25?  I would rather work with this kernel and not have to downgrade,
> reconfigure, recompile and reboot because the system is a dedicated
> remote server that I did a remote install of debian, and I'm very happy
> it rebooted in debian and now I don't want to take any chances with
> another kernel and have it not boot. I did do a search for backports for
> ifconfig but I came up with nothing. Any suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated.

There's something about ifconfig being deprecated. Use iproute2 (package
iproute). The command is 'ip addr add x.x.x.x/x dev eth0' if I
understand your question (which I don't think I do).

I've had no problems with multiple ip addresses on one interface under
2.4.25 and Woody.

Brian