Re: More on installation

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 02:21:39AM -0800, jack kinnon wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Thanks for the info on installation. I may not need to download
> any stuff. I have been passed a 'debian-30r1-i386-binary-1'
> cd-rom with 600+ MB of content.
>
> I start-off installation with a rescue.bin floppy, then the
> root.bin floppy, then proceed to load the drivers with drivers.tgz
> on the hard-disk. Next, to 'Install the Base System', I select
> cd-rom as the medium. Was prompted to 'Please place the first
> Debian cd-rom in the cd-rom drive.' which I did and then select
> 'choose from a list of all likely directories'. The response is
> "couldn't find directory containing basedebs.tar or
> lists/woody/main/binary-i386/Release.'  Isn't what I have the
> 'first Debian cd-rom'?  Could it be the format of the medium?
> The guy who passed me the cd-rom told me he has to do a 'mount
> -o loop -t iso9660..." to access the content, in Linux. What's
> your advice, folks? Just download basedeb.tar?

Don't bother with floppies, just boot the CD-ROM. I can't remember off
the top of my head exactly what options you get around the "choose
from a list of all likely directories" point, but I think you just go
for the default and it works.

Re needing to download other stuff... that first CD contains the most
commonly required packages, but there are 8000 or so packages and 6
more CDs. You can get by with what's on the first CD but you probably
will want to download other stuff. Fortunately, once you've got your
internet connection active, apt-get makes this painless. You only
download what you need, not the whole of the other CDs.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons