Re: ut2004demo and OpenAL

Thomas G wrote:

John Stevenson wrote:

> Well as I now see after working on getting unreal2004 working ive run into two problems. One of which I fixed (it being in the center of the two monitors) and the other I did not (not having any sound). I am going to assume it has something to do with that ut2004 uses OpenAL. I use artsd in KDE (if they are similar or anything I do not know much about either of them and have not been able to find much).

I don't use KDE, but my guess would be that artsd is running as a sound server, similar to esd in Gnome. Many games have problems with sound if these sound servers are running.

You should try stopping artsd and then running ut2004. Have a look in the /etc/init.d/ directory for a start/stop script for artsd. You should, as root, try something like this:

/etc/init.d/artsd stop

If ut2004 now works, you can either start/stop arts every time, or do a google to see if you can pass an argument to ut2004 to run through artsd.

Johnny.