Re: XFree86 4.1 --> 4.2.1 (Woody)

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 10:20:53AM -0500, Kenneth Jacker wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> As some of you following this list know, I have been trying to get my
> "ATI Radeon RV200 QW [Radeon 7500]" board working with XFree86-4.1
> under stable.  After much help and emails, it appears that that
> controller/chip isn't supported under v4.1.  :-(
>
> So, since I think the board is a decent one, I guess my only
> alternative is to provide a later XFree86 version.  Keeping in mind
> that I'm running Woody/stable, to which version should I upgrade?
>
> Various correspondents state that 4.2.1 supports my board.  Version
> 4.3.0 and 4.4.0 are some of the "latest and greatest".  But, I thought
> I might just "get my feet wet" (since I have done *zero* backports)
> with the 4.2.1 version. Suggestions?

Well, you don't have to do any of the backporting yourself (unless you
really want to). Just install a backported version that someone else
has done.

> One thing that concerns me, though, is the affect of upgrading the X
> server. I assume I will have to "purge" all traces of the current
> version.  But won't that also remove components that depend on it
> (e.g., kde, ...)?  If true, what will be the best way to recover those
> X11-dependent applications?

That's only a problem if you remove the current X before you install
the new one.

> The final issue for me is the actual process of changing to 4.2.1
> under Woody.  I've done the usual searches (seems like FAQs), but
> didn't find anything that appeared to describe the actual procedure.
>
> I do have these URLs:
>
>   http://www.backports.org/debian/dists/stable/xfree86/binary-i386/
>
>   ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.2.1/binaries/Linux-ix86-glibc22/
>
> Should they be my starting point?

Only the first one - you won't need the second.

Add:

deb http://www.backports.org/debian/ stable xfree86

to your /etc/apt/sources.list, then run:

apt-get update
apt-get install x-window-system -s
(check the output from this to make sure it's not going to do anything
you don't want)
apt-get install x-window-system

--
Pigeon