Re: XFree86 4.1 --> 4.2.1 (Woody)

Not sure if this helps but .....

I took two approaches to this. First I downloaded the non-debian packages from the XFREE site. I left the Woody X packages in place to satisfy dependencies and then installed the XFREE packages on top. It seemed to work OK for me but there might be problems that I didn't come across.

The alternative I used later was to upgrade to "sarge". Although this is "testing" I've been running my desktop on it for some time. The only problem I have is with sound but I have been able to get round that.

Regards

Tony

Kenneth Jacker wrote:
Greetings!

As some of you following this list know, I have been trying to get my
"ATI Radeon RV200 QW [Radeon 7500]" board working with XFree86-4.1
under stable.  After much help and emails, it appears that that
controller/chip isn't supported under v4.1.  :-(

So, since I think the board is a decent one, I guess my only
alternative is to provide a later XFree86 version.  Keeping in mind
that I'm running Woody/stable, to which version should I upgrade?

Various correspondents state that 4.2.1 supports my board.  Version
4.3.0 and 4.4.0 are some of the "latest and greatest".  But, I thought
I might just "get my feet wet" (since I have done *zero* backports)
with the 4.2.1 version. Suggestions?

One thing that concerns me, though, is the affect of upgrading the X
server. I assume I will have to "purge" all traces of the current
version.  But won't that also remove components that depend on it
(e.g., kde, ...)?  If true, what will be the best way to recover those
X11-dependent applications?

The final issue for me is the actual process of changing to 4.2.1
under Woody.  I've done the usual searches (seems like FAQs), but
didn't find anything that appeared to describe the actual procedure.

I do have these URLs:

  http://www.backports.org/debian/dists/stable/xfree86/binary-i386/

  ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.2.1/binaries/Linux-ix86-glibc22/

Should they be my starting point?

I hope I'm not embarking on a long, long journey!  ;-)

Thanks for all comments, suggestions and help ...