Re: Odd problem with PAM and KDM

David Goodenough wrote:

I have a laptop which has been running Debian for around 2 years now, with
a user ID for me which works just fine.  I can log on to a line mode console
or use KDM to log on to KDE - no problems.  The machine is running Sid,
and is pretty well up to date.

Recently I added a user ID for my son so that he could use this machine
for some school work.  He claims he did nothing out of the ordinary, but
after a history lesson he stopped being able to log into KDE.
When I got a look at the machine there were no obvious errors, and he
could still log on to a command line console and issue startx to get into
KDE, but just could not get into KDE from KDM.

KDM reports immediately that there is a logon failure, and there is a log message in /var/log/syskog which reads:-

kdm(pam_unix)[843]: authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0
 tty=:0 ruser= rhost= user=michael

It then says, just as it would for a normal login:-

logon(pam_unix)[686]: session opened for user michael by LOGIN(uid=0)

and that it all.

Anyone got any ideas as to why this might be or how to debug it?

Thanks

David

Can you log into KDM? (IOW, does it just affect his account?)

--
Kent