Re: Debian OCR software that actually works?

Number Six wrote:
On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 02:21:34PM -0800, Kenward Vaughan wrote:

True. Also easy for us to say, since we are not doing the coding. Since no one pays 'em for the effort they put into the project, and
they need to put food on the table, things get split up accordingly.

Some absolutely free software is absolutely great.  Others work only OK.
The nature of the problem _and_ the people donating their time are
obvious factors going into this.  I can only judge the app's usefulness
to me.

Hey, right on, as people the rock, and I suck, cause I haven't written anything. However, my brutal opinion is that the quality of GOCR sucks, and it's useless, and the closed source absolutely hands down wins the "OCR wars".

This says it all for me:
http://www.gutenberg.net/faq/S-17.shtml

Check out Scan 2, "Typical Scan", and the quality of the output of GOCR vs. the others. (Scan 1, "Perfect Scan", is perfect in all cases). Scan 2 looks like everything I've ever gotten out of gocr.

If Gutenberg says it sucks, it sucks.  Sad but true.

Again, they rock and I suck.

Thanks for that site. It appears that abby wins in all their tests and abby has an OCR engine for Linux. There 's got to be Linux users who have tried something like that, is all OCR scanning done on windows?

Hugo.