Re: Debian OCR software that actually works?

On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 10:26:33PM -0800, Kenward Vaughan wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 06:59:58PM -0800, Number Six wrote:
> > The output is horrible and unusable -- probably 40% of the text is
> > misscanned.
> >
> it.  I believe it is much more sensitive to things like rotated text
> and font size than you find in commercial ventures.  IIRC there were a
> number of tweaks one could perform in its setup, too.

The other stuff I've read said it is missing a text autostraightener.
"apt-cache search straighten" shows nothing.

I don't mean to gripe, but OCR accuracy went to >90% everywhere around
the time the 486 came out.  I'm sure GOCR can be made to do equally as
good as all the rest, but autostraightening text seems like a pretty
darn important thing.

The docs don't help; what other tools did you use?