Re: Network setup problems (formerly Can anyone give me a clue)

Ken Januski wrote:

Hi,

I'm starting this thread over from one that used to be called "Can anyone give me a clue..." . Sorry for anyone that was trying to help me with that thread. I'm thankful for your help but feel I need to rephrase the problem.

First of all I have a crossover cable connecting my Debian machine and a Windows XP machine. I bought it years ago as an experiment because I didn't know if I'd ever really need a network and didn't want to invest in anything more. But as far as I know I should be able to get a basic network with this. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I can ping the Debian box from the windows box and can telnet in successfully. But any attempts to ping the Windows box, either with hostname or IP fail. Basically ping just sits there and does nothing. When I end it I find a 100% packet loss.

Ifconfig for eth0 shows both RX and TX packets with no errors or dropped packets. Also I notice that if I ping Debian from Debian the lo packet count goes up not the eth0. This makes me think that it's using the lo interface rather than the eth0. Maybe this is as it should be.

I THOUGHT that at one time I was able to ping the Windows box, but only if I turned dialup connection via pon off. That was gist of original message but then I found out that I could no longer reach the network under any circumstances so I decided it was best to rephrase the problem. I do find that if I run pon with eth0 interface up I get this error: "chat: Can't get terminal parameters: input/output." I also find that if I use "ifconfig eth0 up" while I'm connected via pon that I get this error: "pppd script finished...Cannot allocate irq3." So I assume that there is an IRQ conflict.

So I'm not sure where to start. It seems to me that the most important thing is to first get the network working and then figure out why there's a conflict with pon.

Thanks for any suggestions. The NIC by the way is a 3com 3c905c Tornado. I also notice that dmesg says "eth0: Cannot allocate IRQ 3" right after trying to load the NIC. Perhaps this is the source of the problem. But I guess I'm thrown by the fact that I'm able to connect to the card from Windows.

I should add that I've gone through Running Linux, Linux Network Administrator's Guide, and Linux Administration Handbook and still haven't been able to figure out what the problem is. Though I have to add I never really noticed the IRQ problem before.

Ken

no doubt someone else will chip in, i'm almost certainly going to miss something

for a kickoff, i would suggest the outputs of lspci, ifconfig -a, route, extracts from dmesg o/p, cat /proc/interrupts o/p and the equivalents from the xp box

i get the feeling that you have a modem, details would be nice, which box?
which box provides internet, i suspect the debian
ip_masquade, ip_forwarding ? research reqd, if its xp->internet your really after

there are many poss answers, refine the question and provide some significant info

stephen

not wanting to use mftr