Re: Kernel-2.4.2x arbitarily reboots

glenn wrote:

Hi can anyone tell me where I might start troubleshooting this problem.
Im finding debian  kernel-image packages higher than 2.4.18bf24 and
lower than the 2.6 are causing my system to reboot. They appear to boot up find, everything is good, then perhaps 30sec to 1
minute later the machine just reboots.

The sensible thing would be to go with 2.6, but I have a list of other
problems with that, so I'm happy to be happy with 2.4.2x-something

Can anyone give me a hint how I workout what causes this?
Thanks
Glenn

heres more information:
* Reboots regardless of gdm/X being started
* 2.4.18 doesn't reboot it, neither does win xp
* I download and tried installing from the netinst, the full iso image,
and floppy and they all caused my system to reboot (seemingly)
arbitarily
* I installed a minimal woody from cd, then set my apt to unstable and
dist upgraded along with new kernel - working my way back to 2.4.20
before I found one that didn't cause a reboot. 2.4.20 seemded dreamy,
everything work, but after (deliberately) restarting my system, this
problem of rebooting was back

Open up the side of your case and aim a floor fan so that the air blows into your box and see if the problem goes away.

If that doesn't make a difference, start pulling out expansion cards (nic, sound, video if you have an on-board option, etc) and see if that makes a difference.

I know you think your hardware is fine since 2.4.18 and XP works, but my gut instinct is that you have a hardware problem that these two OSes simply aren't "hitting".

You might also check in your BIOS and see if you can slow down the CPU/bus/etc a notch or two, and see if that makes a difference.

Swap RAM sticks around, or take out a stick.

"apt-get install memtest86" and configure it in lilo.conf and then run it for a couple of hours. (WARNING: Not 100% conclusive)

--
Kent