Q: booting GNU/Linux from GNU/Linux (for safe boot and upgrade of the remote server)

Hi,

Shortly: how to boot GNU/Linux system from the
running GNU/Linux? Is there program for this?

Long explanation:
I have one server which is located quite far
from my current location. Each and every time I make
something dangerous with the system over the ssh,
I run into the risk to lost my system. If something
will go wrong I will not be able to ssh to my server.

I thought about the configuration which can help me
to make kernel/system upgrades and other dangerous
things safely, even with unstable branch.
One possible solution is having separate partition
which will run very small Debian system with
limited amount of packages. The boot process will
first boot this small Debian system (from CD,
flash or HD) and start ssh daemon. So, I will be
able to login and fix problems in main system.
After fixing my system, I will need to boot the
main system. The problem is that I have no idea
how to do this.
--
Best regards, Sergey Spiridonov