Re: Applying Kernel patches

Pigeon escribió:

On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 11:57:57AM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
I've patched my kernel.org kernel from one version to the next, but now
I have one machine running 2.4.21 that I'd like to upgrade.

Is there a way to get a patch generated (patch-o-matic kind of thing) to
patch from 2.4.21 to 2.4.25?

I'm not going to say flat out that it doesn't exist, but I've never
heard of it. But I don't think there's anything to stop you getting
the four patches and applying them in succession to the 2.4.21 source
to get you up to 2.4.25.

How can one do it using Synaptic ???.

Using Pack / Find and typing :

kernel-image

and selecting the kernels from the actual ( you can see it typing uname -r in a terminal ) to the destination one ( i.e. the last ).

Later, one would execute changes in synaptic to upgrade the kernel ( is it OK ? ).

Program like Synaptic would offer a more simple solution ( i.e. automatic selection of intermediate packages ).

I also have machines running 2.4.24.

Or is it time to move to 2.6.3?

I would like to see www.debian.net/kernel/last to see the last kernel vesion ( with links to woody, unstable and testing).

The recent thread "Kernel 2.6.3 again" contains a pretty good list of
what packages need to be upgraded. For woody, backports will be
required. The most important one is to get module-init-tools, but
others such as e2fsprogs are also fairly important.

This would be interesting include this list in kernel-core package.

Regards.