Re: Question re: postgresql

On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 17:59, Michael Satterwhite wrote:

> On a new Debian install with postgresql, I'm trying to add a user. The master
> user (postgres) shouldn't have a default password, so I'd expect the command
>
> 	createuser -U postgres -a username
>
> to work. I'm getting an IDENT failure on postgres, however. I *KNOW* I've done
> this on an initial install under a different distro before ... but that
> doesn't mean that it was the correct way, of course. It's also possible that
> I've got a bad case of tunnel vision.
>
> Would someone be so kind as to point out what I'm missing?

You need to be logged on as postgres as well:

$ su
# su - postgres
$ createuser -U postgres -a username
$ exit
# exit
$

The default authentication setup is "ident sameuser" in
/etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf, which means that you can only be the
PostgreSQL user whose name matches your login identity.

Oliver Elphick