Re: should I install nvidia driver at first?re:Re: base system, nox windows yet,HOW?

ts wrote:

Dear Mr.Kent West,

ts wrote:

Kent West wrote:
So "modprobe 8139too" should load the module, and "lsmod" should show
the module as listed. Now you'll need to restart networking (or reboot)
with "/etc/init.d/networking restart". This assumes you have your
network defined properly in /etc/network/interfaces.

it prompted error messages following "modprobe 8139too".    "modprobe RTL-8139".
"can't locate module 8139too."
   "can't locate module RTL-8139."
* Different topics should probably go into different email threads.
(Sorry, when I wrote this, I was thinking the NVIDIA stuff below was referring to video problems, not NIC problems, and was thus a different topic, and then forgot to come back and delete this line.)

(I also realized later that you had sent the posting to the list instead of just to me, so my apologies for also harping about not posting to the list.)

Do you think I should  download   the  tar file (NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.tar.gz )
From(http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/nforce/1.0-0261/NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.tar.gz) or
Source RPM	 file (NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.src.rpm) from (http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/nforce/1.0-0261/NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.src.rpm) and install it   and  thus set proper configuration of  EPOX-8RDA3G MB& its NIC lan?

If the 8139too module installed properly without errors, I suspect
that's all you'll need; you just need to finish getting the rest of the
network configured properly. Of course, I could be wrong, and the
8139too module may be failing silently, in which case you might need to
resort to the nforce drivers. I just don't know. (Another reason for
keeping your posts on the list, for others more experienced with nforce
boards might have some input.)

But, according to what you said above, the system "can't locate module 8139too", so the module is not installing properly. From what I've been able to google, this module should be in the 2.4.18 kernel (which I'm assuming you're running, since you mention that version under /lib/modules).

How 'bout posting the contents of "lspci" as it relates to your NICs, and the contents of "lsmod", and the contents of "dmesg" as it relates to your NICs. Not having networking, it'll be a bit of a pain; something like this:

lspci > lspci.txt
dmesg > dmesg.txt
lsmod > lsmod.txt

pop in a floppy

mount /dev/fd0 /floppy

cp lspci.txt /floppy
cp dmesg.txt /floppy
cp lsmod.txt /floppy

umount /floppy

Then take the floppy to a networked machine where you can create/send the email with these text files.

--
Kent