Re: SATA Debian support

Hamid wrote:
I am running Debian on a SATA hard disk (my motherboard has ICH5 and SiI3112 chipset) Right now I am using the SiI3112 but in order to do that I had to install Debian testing
because Woody intaller did not have the support.

I should say that the performance of my SATA under Linux is inferior to that of normal
ATA and the data rate I get from my SATA is very lousy comparing to ATA.
I read somewhere that this is going to get fixed in future versions of the SATA driver !

I thought these are about to be expected (DMA on hd* disks, the sda disk is SATA, the hd* are IDE)), do you get different speed on SATA drives? I have intel D865PERL (ICH5).

jojda:/home/erik# hdparm -t /dev/sda1

/dev/sda1:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  156 MB in  3.00 seconds =  52.00 MB/sec
jojda:/home/erik# hdparm -t /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:   26 MB in  3.08 seconds =   8.44 MB/sec
jojda:/home/erik# hdparm -t /dev/hdb

/dev/hdb:
 Timing buffered disk reads:   74 MB in  3.00 seconds =  24.67 MB/sec

	erik