Re: static ip to dhcp conversion -- getting a hostname

Marty Landman <MLandman@face2interface.com> writes:

> Besides the problem of breaking things that work, isn't this also a
> potential security issue?

Yes.  Broken scripts can break.

Checking against hostname has never been exceptionally secure.

> It includes a provision for hard coding the domain it is installed
> to, which the script compares at run time against the
> $ENV{HTTP_REFERER}. If these don't match the email won't be sent.

You realize that someone could just send a different referer header?

--
Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> - I am the rocks.
You read fiction novels? I read fiction on the nets.