Re: discover vs modconf, etc

Greg Madden wrote:

On Thursday 04 March 2004 07:53 am, Kent West wrote:
What is the canonical way to set up hardware now-a-days? Am I still
supposed to add modules manually, or is there some automagic way of
doing it now? Perhaps this is a feature of 2.6 rather than 2.4? (In
other words, what's the future of hardware setup on Debian look
like?)
Discover & Hotplug were installed on a new Testing install, along with USB support. Do you have any USB devices attached during the install? I had a USB mouse attached and it was configured properly. Testing uses a 2.4.24 kernel. Are you using the new Debian Installer ?
IIRC, I grabbed the 100MB i386 installer from http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/, and then after the base install started pulling stuff from the net (after reconfiguring /etc/apt/sources.list to point to unstable). The USB mouse was attached during the install.

When I manually did an "apt-get install discover" I learned that discover was already installed. When I did the same for hotplug, hotplug was not already installed. After installing it, my USB mouse still did not automatically start working. I don't remember for sure, but I suspect I rebooted at that point, and the mouse still didn't work.

So I upgraded to 2.6.3-1; no difference.

I tinkered with modules, and eventually got the mouse to work (with the final relevant module list including usbmouse, uhci_hcd, ehci_hcd, usbcore, and mousedev).

--
Kent