Re: static ip to dhcp conversion -- getting a hostname

John Schmidt wrote:

Hi,

My university is switching everyone over from a static ip to one assigned via dhcp. In addition, they are specifying the hostname for each of these addresses. Unfortunately, we don't get an option to choose a hostname. It seems that the current mechanism within Debian is to specify a hostname regardless of how a ip is assigned. I would prefer to assign my own host-name, but don't have that luxury.

I have to question UofU's wisdom in doing this (and it doesn't help that their home page has today listed as March 5, 104); this can wreak havoc with various programs that grab the hostname while they're being installed, and then record that name for future reference. For example, Timbuktu (a remote control program for Windows and Macs) would get horribly confused, I would think. (The uni's Helpdesk would hate that!). In other words, they're not just hurting the few Linux users; this has the potential to cause problems for Macs, Windows, and *nix users.

Since you're using Debian, you can script around most of the problems; once you get a hostname (and I'm not sure why you're not able to get one) you can run a script to search for and replace all the hostname references in /etc. Not an ideal situation, but you're better off than Windows users who won't be able to do the same in the registry.

I think what I'd do is just grab an IP address like you're doing, specify your own hostname (see if you can detect a pattern with other people's computers and follow that pattern), and then just don't worry about it unless it breaks or unless someone calls you on it. At that point, tell them you tried to conform, but their server wasn't handing out a hostname, and you're glad to see someone show up who is competent enough to fix the server's problem, and "here's a Hostess cupcake, 'cuz I know the really good techs who can solve these types of infrastructure problems are worth the occasional goody".

--
Kent