how to stop exim running the queue automatically

Hi,

I am using debian testing/unstable with exim 3.x. I have started using
debian just a few days ago, I formerly used RedHat.Now I have configiured
it to queue outbound mails and send them thru my smarthost. My webhost
supports pop-before-smtp hence I need to check my mail before I can send.

I have this in exim.conf

queue_remote_domains = ! localhost

yet when exim starts up it starts with :

/usr/lib/exim/exim3 -bd -q30m

it tries to send my queued mails immediately on startup (which results in
failed delivery) and every 30 mins. This means that many a times the queue
runs at a time when the smarthost will not accept mesages for delivery.

What can I do such that the queued messages are *only* set when I manually
run the queue ? To stop exim starting up with  -q30m option, I edited
/etc/init.d/exim and changed the incantation from

echo -n "Starting MTA: "
    start-stop-daemon --start --pidfile /var/run/exim/exim.pid \
                                    --exec $DAEMON -- -bd -q30m
				          echo "exim."

echo -n "Starting MTA: "
    start-stop-daemon --start --pidfile /var/run/exim/exim.pid \
                                    --exec $DAEMON -- -bd
				          echo "exim."

This is what I have in /etc/inetd.conf (untouched by me)

#:MAIL: Mail, news and uucp services.
#smtp           stream  tcp     nowait  mail    /usr/sbin/exim exim -bs

now, this is what I get :(

------------------------------------
spavri@debian:~$ ps ax | grep exim
 234 ?        S      0:00 /usr/lib/exim/exim3 -bd
1279 pts/3    S      0:00 grep exim
-----------------------------------
debian:/etc/init.d# /etc/init.d/exim restart
Restarting MTA: No /usr/lib/exim/exim3 found running; none killed.
exim.

-----------------------------------

debian:/etc/init.d# ps ax | grep exim
 234 ?        S      0:00 /usr/lib/exim/exim3 -bd
1321 ?        S      0:00 /usr/lib/exim/exim3 -bd
1326 pts/0    S      0:00 grep exim
-----------------------------------

restart is not killing the original exim but is starting up another
instance.

obviously some mistake on my part. What do I do now ?

also, this has not solved my problem of exim trying to run the queue
automatically. I usually send out the mail with exim -q.

Presently what I do is after composing the mail in mutt, I postpone the
mesage and only send it once I have checked my mail.

I have googled, looked up newbiedoc. The exim faq does not seem to have
what I want or I just cannot spot it.

thanks,

Sharukh.
--
Dr. Sharukh K. R. Pavri		Homeopath and Linuxer.
Mumbai, India.			http://www.pavri.net/