Re: static ip to dhcp conversion -- getting a hostname

>My university is switching everyone over from a static ip to one assigned via
>dhcp.  In addition, they are specifying the hostname for each of these
>addresses.  Unfortunately, we don't get an option to choose a hostname.  It
>seems that the current mechanism within Debian is to specify a hostname
>regardless of how a ip is assigned.

Hi,
sorry, I can't solve Your problem, but I would like to ask You if You're sure
it is a good idea to dynamically change the hostname?
A long time ago, I was much younger and more inexperienced, I decided, the
hostname assigned during installation wasn't what I expected, so I simply
changed it. The result was different programs not working properly anymore (I
think, You can still find my cry for help on debian-kde mailing list as kdm
was one of those packages).
It was potato with a self compiled kde by then, and I never ever played with
my hostname after that day. So, are You sure, that is a wise idea?
   js