Re: Virtual Consoles take a long time for gettys to restart

Ken Bloom wrote:

I've observed on my machine over the last several months that it takes
an inordinately long time after I log off of one of my machine's
virtual consoles before the getty restarts, prints /etc/issue and is
ready to accept logins again. Occasionally, I get a situation where
init reports the getty as respawning too fast and disables it for 5
minutes. Any idea what's wrong?

Don't have any idea what's wrong, but thought I'd tell you that I've seen references to this in the list every so often (so you might want to check the archives), and I've experienced the same on most (all?) of my boxes, but it doesn't bother me enough to track it down and fix it; since I usually have a free tty I just switch over to it and by the time I need the first one again it's ready.

I only post this so that you'll know it's not just your machine.

--
Kent