XFree86 4.3, DRI, and ATI Rage 128 Pro freeze

I recently (last week) figured out how to configure my computer's ATI
Rage 128 card to work with DRI and use 3D acceleration. I have a
problem now that if I let xscreensaver launch and start doing
screen savers, eventually one of the OpenGL screensavers will
completely lock up my screen (I can't Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, I can't
switch to a virtual console, and killing the application or x server
over ssh doesn't solve the problem - although ssh still works).

Does anyone have information about solving this situation?