Re: kernel source tree

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 09:47:38AM -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> On 2004-03-04, Richard Lyons penned:
> > Another really dim question coming up...
> >
> > I'm trying to install thinkpad drivers for Debian. Instructions say to
> > unpack the thinkpad.tar.gz (no problem there) and then to "cd to the
> > root of the source tree for the kernel for which you want to compile
> > modules, e.g., /usr/src/linux. Run 'make-kpkg --rootcmd=fakeroot
> > modules-image'..."  I innocently assumed the root of the source tree
> > would be /usr/src/linux-2.4.22.  But when I do  'make-kpkg
> > modules-image', I get:
> >   "We do not seem to be in a top level linux kernel source directory
> > tree..."
> > So I am evidently wrong.  I tried installing (via aptitude) the
> > kernel-source-2.4.22 package, and also kernel-headers-2.4.22-xfs-386,
> > but that didn't help.
> >
> > Can someone kindly tell me what is meant by "the root of the source
> > tree"?

The top level directory of the kernel source. E.g.
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/ or /home/me/src/linux-2.4.25/

> > I really shall have to find time to learn about sources and compiling
> > one day -- it is always like cooking while blindfolded and with a
> > clothes-peg on your nose...
>
> It may be expecting /usr/src/linux instead.  Try symbolically linking
> the two with `ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.4.22 /usr/src/linux`, cd into the
> "new" linux directory, and try again.

There are some expectations of where things are, but you can place them
anywhere.  See the manpage for make-kpkg, specifically the
--added-modules option.  It tells you how to specify where your modules
are located if they are *not* in /usr/src/modules/

--

Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.