[OT] difference/relation between X.org, directFB and freedesktop.org

I was wondering if someone can clear up for me the
differences/relationships between X.org, directFB and freedesktop.org ?

I keep seeing references to all of these and couldn't find any clear
documentation on what they are. All I could find were vague
descriptions of abilities but nothing really about which is what.

Also, where does Xfree86 fall into all this?