RE: boot error -> cdrom: open failed.?

Oops... <ctrl><enter> sends message in sucky outlook... sorry.  See below
for the rest of my message...

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Kahle
Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 11:27 AM
To: Debian User List
Subject: boot error -> cdrom: open failed.?

Hello.  I recently built a 2.6.3 custom kernel for my debian/unstable
machine.  I am using the unstable kernel-source package.  When booting my
computer now I get a strange error:
cdrom: open failed.
cdrom: open failed.
cdrom: open failed.
cdrom: open failed.
cdrom: open failed.
cdrom: open failed.
cdrom: open failed.
cdrom: open failed.
cdrom: open failed.
cdrom: open failed.
cdrom: open failed.
cdrom: open failed.

Now I did some googling for the error and I found a myriad of solutions
related to this.  Among them, and things I've tried are:
Recompile the kernel to not include "Kernel automounter support"
Use the noauto option in fstab:
/dev/cdrw    /cdrw    auto    ro, user, noauto    0    0
/dev/dvdrw    /dvdrw    auto    ro, user, noauto    0    0

There was also a suggestion that this could be an indication that the drive
is bad?  Could someone explain (or confirm) this?

Thank you.

Michael