Re: new installer
On Tuesday 02 March 2004 16:47, Dr Gavin Seddon wrote:
> Hello again,
> A patern of my questions is emerging. Knoppix 'recognises' all my
> hardware and actually I am growing fond of it, but I cannot use multiple
> partitions on my hdd as I would like to.
That is no problem. I have two boxes running what was originally knoppix, and
one of them has five or six partitions. All I did was:
- slightly oversized the root partition, so that the initial install would
fit, and then, after installation to hd
- booted from the CD,
- mounted the other partitions (Knoppix even sets up mount points for them),
- copied /usr, /var, /home, etc to where I wanted them,
- edited /etc/fstab (the hd version not the ramdisk one knoppix was running
at that moment),
- renamed all the about-to-move directories (eg /mnt/hda/var
to /mnt/hda/keepvar) (that was just to have a backup in case of problems)
- set up new mount points , and
After a week or so, I deleted the backup copies and that was that.
If you haven't space for an oversize root partition, you may have to be a bit
more ingenious (parted, perhaps).