Re: Ann: gpm-X guide

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 08:48:50PM -0600, Kent West wrote:
| Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
|
| >For those who have had trouble or will have trouble in the future
| >getting gpm and X to cooperate, I have now published a short guide on
| >how to do it successfully.  Enjoy.
| >
| >http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/config_docs/gpm-X/
| >

| >Kernel 2.6 extends this device node to include the PS/2 mouse as well.
| >This means that if you are using a 2.6 kernel you don't need to use
| >the gpm-as-repeater technique outlined above. Simply tell gpm to read
| >from /dev/input/mice and tell X to read from /dev/input/mice and it
| >will work correctly.
|

| I didn't know that; cool.

It is.  I discovered it because at one point while I was switching the
kernel, gpm wasn't running but the PS/2 mouse still worked in X.

(on one machine I have a weird setup where gpm reads /dev/psaux and
/dev/input/mice and repeats them to /dev/gpmdata while X reads from
/dev/gpmdata and /dev/input/mice - the reason is that PS/2 mouse
doesn't work with the IMPS/2 protocol, but the USB mouse has a scroll
wheel)

-D

--
Microsoft encrypts your Windows NT password when stored on a Windows CE
device. But if you look carefully at their encryption algorithm, they