Re: How to find WHEN a package was installed

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 11:33:57AM -0600, Rob VanFleet wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 12:13:00PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > I'm sorry, but there's no facility in dpkg to log installations at the
> > moment: it's a long-standing enhancement request. You either have to do
> > it yourself, or use aptitude which I believe has installation logging
> > support.
>
> Does woody's aptitude have support for this, or just later versions?  I
> looked through the man page and other docs and couldn't find anything
> about it.

I don't use it myself, but I think it's new post-woody. The changelog
isn't entirely clear to me.

/usr/share/doc/aptitude/README in version 0.2.14-3 says:

Aptitude::Log
        default: set
                         If this is set, Aptitude will log its actions when
                        installing, upgrading, or removing packages.
                          Simply setting this to a filename will cause output
                        to be logged to that file.  The log can be piped into
                        a command by setting the first character to a pipe
                        symbol ("|") and the remainder to the command; for
                        instance: "|mail -s 'Aptitude install run' root"

Cheers,