Re: nvidia

Hello

Preben Ingebricson (<preben@cognita.no>) wrote:

> I'm new fearly new to linux and debian, but is trying to install it
> now. I can't find my nvidia GeForce4 card in any of the list. I assume
> that is why I can't get the x windows to start.
>
> Is nvidia not supported by XFree86?

It is, but the Version on XFree (4.1) in Debian 3.0 (Woody) only
supports nvidia cards up to GeForce 2, at least if you want to use the
nv driver. You can use the vesa driver instead, or get the nvidia
driver from the nvidia web page. Search the archive and look at the
README to find information on how to install it. You can also upgrade
to a newer version of XFree. Take a look at <http://www.apt-get.org>.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674