From: news [mailto:news@sea.gmane.org]On Behalf Of Andreas Janssen
Sent: Saturday, February 28, 2004 5:02 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Sound and Linux Kernel 2.6

Hello

MacNean Tyrrell (<dardack@nycap.rr.com>) wrote:

> Ok so I have Debian installed, and I like it a lot, but I can't get
> the sound card to work, can't even get ALSA to work.  So I decided to
> just run Knoppix from the CD drive, and it successfully detects my
> sound card, and it works there. I really don't want to use Knoppix,
> just want to use Debian sarge. But without sound, kinda not useful
> for some other things I want to do (ie MythTV). So I know that the
> linux kernel 2.6 has ALSA already built in, found a website that
> walked me through it but it didn't work. I reboot and LILO is really
> screwed up.  Anyone have some suggestions. Especially how to update
> sarge to kernel 2.6.  Thanks and would appreciate it.
>
> -DarDack
>
> btw I do have a supported sound card, esnoiqs 1370, snd-es1370 (or
> ens1370 can't remember right now). In debian if I click on the sound
> icon, it says can't find /dev/mixer/sound or /dev/sound/mixer  no
> device exists. Don't know if that helps. Thanks.

Both the snd-Driver (alsa) and the other one should work. I won't go
into details here, but you have to tell the system to load the driver.
Add

es1370

to /etc/modules to load the OSS driver. Or add a line

alias sound-slot-0 es1370

to /etc/modprobe.d/aliases (Kernel 2.6) and /etc/modutils/aliases
(Kernel 2.4). Run update-modules (2.6) and update-modules.modutils
(2.4).

And don't forget to add yourself to the audio group. Otherwise you will
get "Permission denied" after loading the driver.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674
Registered Linux User #267976