Re: DDs: etiquette of inquring about status of an ITP?

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 04:01:18PM -0500, Chris Metzler wrote:

> Anyone's opinion is valued, of course; but I'm especially interested
> in hearing from any DDs who might read this . . .
>
> I'm curious what the etiquette is about inquiring into the status of
> an ITP.

Oh, just write a letter with some common sense :-)

> On one hand, I'm reluctant to ask because I don't want to seem like
> I'm prodding the developer who posted the ITP, especially when he/she
> has volunteered time to do this.

FYI: ITP does not stop you playing with packaging.  Only if you hijack
ITP with unreasonably short leadtime, it is rude.

> I don't want to be rude or seem ungrateful.  But OTOH, if I knew for a
> fact that it wouldn't be coming soon, then I'd be more likely to go
> ahead and pull time from all the other stuff I'm supposed to be doing
> and try to learn how to put it together myself (I'm not a developer by
> any stretch; but I can run Make and google on compile errors and so
> on).

Then go on making package while politely asking ITP status.  If he
uploads something before you finish, you can compaire and learn.

If you get a good package and you get no response good long time, you
may consider hijacking it :-)

> Would it seem annoying to you to get such an inquiry after a couple of
> months?  Six months after posting the ITP?  A year?  If there's some
> point when it isn't rude, is it more appropriate to do it by mailing
> to the WNPP bug, or by a private email to the DD?

It may be annoying to him but whoever left it so long deserves ping.

If you are successful and good at packaging, check http://nm.debian.org