DSL problem (possibly OT)

I'm steamed...

I've been running Sprint's DSL for over three years, for the most part w/o
trouble. I use a debian server with NAT and iptable firewall to connect.
Typical downstream speeds averaged 130 - 150 KB/s.

About three weeks ago I noticed when performing apt-get updates and installs,
that my download speeds dropped to 30 KB/s and below. I blew it off as a
temporary network issue but the problem is not going away.

I used ncftp to log into speedtest-fl.sprint-hsd.net and downloaded some test
files that show I'm getting normal 150 KB/s download speeds. However,
anywhere else speeds drop to the crappy 30 or so KB/s.

Sprint level one support basically tells me to screw off, that the problem is
on my end or that every other friggin server on the Internet is at fault,
since I can download at full speed from their ftp server.

Plus of course, there's the Linux issue.

Could there be something with my setup that has suddenly gone haywire?  What
tests can I perform?  The server is debian sid and hasn't been fooled with in
ages.