Re: DSL problem (possibly OT)

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 11:34:24PM -0500, Chris Metzler wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 20:31:32 -0500
> Mike M <linux-support@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> > On a final note, my DSL service sucked.  Broadband on cable is _much_
> > better.  YMMV.
>
> Yeah, MMDV.  It's all the providers, and what they provide.  Here, I
> <HEART> my DSL, and you couldn't pay me to switch to cable.  But OTOH,
> I have friends in NYC where cable is a much better option.

Speakeasy is the best for ISP, or so I've been told.

I'm here in Mountain View, CA, heart of Silicon Valley, in a 30-year old
apartment building with absestos, lead paint, (but great neighbors), and
ROUND phone jacks.  I'm like 300 FEET from the C.O.

When he was setting it up, the installer was salivating: he said you are
SO going to love this service, you are so close, it's going to rock.
Apparently the quality of the wiring in my building is so shitty that it
went from most-best-quality-it's-going-to-be-perfect to
it-barely-even-worked-at-250k-second.

Cable is much better, even at $55/mo it's expensive but it's better.
They upped it to 3.0 MB/sec down and I get it at 4am when I'm up anyway.

But if you are in a good place with good wiring get speakeasy.  From
what I hear they let you run whatever kinds of servers you want.