Re: Invalid ICMP error messages

Dear Cam Ellison, I get a similar problem when I startup samba on Debian. Did you ever figure out what was causing the problem.

172.20.2.84 sent an invalid ICMP type 11, code 0 error to a broadcast: 172.20.255.255 on eth0

This happens with several different IP addresses.

Sincerely,
Mark V. Principato
markvp@southshore.com

Cam Ellison posted:

I have iptables installed, and using kernel 2.4.22.  Though the first
rule is to drop these things, my kernel, syslog, and messages logs are
filling up with this sort of thing:

Nov 11 04:54:51 treehouse kernel: 24.207.8.30 sent an invalid ICMP
type 11, code 0 error to a broadcast: 24.207.15.255 on eth1
I'm trying to drop these  according to the destination address, which
is the last address in my ISP's block.  All sending addresses appear
to be within that block.
They started to appear during the boot sequence, and if I go to a
terminal (that is, tty1,2,..., not xterm) they flood the display.

I'm sure I turned something on with my last kernel compilation.  Does
anyone have an idea about how to turn this off?

TIA

Cam

--
Cam Ellison Ph.D. R.Psych.