Re: OT: google or debian-user?

On 2004-02-25, xucaen@access-4-free.com penned:

> It is a shame that at times debian-user can be so inhospitable to
> debain users. I think it is unfair to have a question answered with
> "try google" or some other variation of RTFM. Am I to understand that
> instead of using the debian-user list that I should use a search
> engine? I was under the impression that the debian-user list was a
> forum for debian users. I always search the debain-user archives
> before asking a question and if I don't find an answer then I ask my
> question. Generally I do not do google searches unless I am seaking
> global information such as "is my hardware supported under linux". But
> I know that debain does things differently than the way other distros
> do things, (otherwise there would be no need for .deb packages,
> right?) so in most cases I figure the problem has something to do with
> a debain specific driver or setting. I am rather new to linux in
> general and have ever only used Debian so I am not familiar with what
> is just specific to debian and what is global across all linux
> distros. I suppose I could have asked "is my issue at hand something
> that is supported differently in debian than other distros or do all
> distros support it the same?" but that is even more annoying than
> asking the question outright.

It's Debian, not Debain.  How is it that you get this right only half
the time?

You seem to be unaware of the fact that this list is populated entirely
by volunteers.  No one is paid to read this list or respond to posts.
Don't you think it's the height of arrogance to ask someone for help
without trying your best to find the answer yourself?  You're telling
the list, "Hey, my time is more valuable than yours, and therefore I
want you to tell me how to do this rather than taking the time to figure
this out myself."

Many of the questions on this list are not actually debian-specific, but
for the most part, if you ask a well-formed question, someone will give
a useful answer.

If you do need to ask a question, a little humility goes a long way.
Try something like this:  "Hi, all.  I'm new to both linux and debian,
so I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but here goes:
<insert question>.  If anyone could help me out or point me to a better
place to ask this question, I'd really appreciate it."

> However I will in the future assume that any problem I have is the
> same in all distros and I will do searches on the web first. I concede
> to RT proverbial FM even if that M is spread across all of the known
> Internet. Who knows? maybe I will never again need to post a message
> to the debain user list. One can only hope...

You say this as if it's a bad thing.

--
monique