Re: Car Talk (wma9 stream) on Debian system?

Hi Carl,

I did a lot of poking around after the Car Talk switch and as far as I can
tell, wma9 encoded audio can not be played unless you can run Microsoft(TM)
brand software.  I've sent a couple of emails to the Car Talk guys
explaining this and pointing out that their tips page is wrong without any
response.

FWIW, Googling led me to a ripe.net discussion on the same issue.  They
solved it by switching to the wma8 audio encoder.  (Also emailed to Car
Talk.)

Also FWIW, I had to add a '-bandwidth 99999' argument to the mplayer command line
or it would stall at the buffering stage.  Regardless, eventually you will
get an error: 'Cannot find codec for audio format 0xA.' which is the
ultimate show stopper.

I would be happy to be proven wrong.

-- Brad

--
Brad Sawatzky <bds9e@virginia.edu>
University of Virginia Physics Department